Friday, March 11, 2011

It was a good week because I survived it!

And I thought last week was busy!  This week was so much more I haven't even been able to think about posting.  I really don't have time to do it this morning, but since my goal is to post every week--here I am.

The projects I worked on this week all involved the Pioneer Trek two of my kids are going on next week.  They will drive out to the hill country and pull handcarts for four days.  My husband and I were suppose to go with them, but due to a mix up on the dates of another event we had previous committed to we had to back out.  I'm still a little bummed about that, as I would have loved to share this experience with my son and youngest daughter.

We've know about this trek for quite a long time, which should mean that all of our preparations were done several weeks ago.  Those of you that know me well can stop laughing long enough to hear me admit that that statement is so false.  However, that doesn't mean I haven't been working on this project for quite some time.

One of the things that has kept me running back and forth to the mall are these buckets:

The Trek participants must fit all of their belongings for the trip into a 5 gallon bucket.  We decided making padded seats on the buckets would be a good YW activity, and I set out trying to find a source for free buckets.  The Great American Cookie Company at the mall came through for us, and agreed to save their frosting buckets for our group.  Each week I went to the mall once or twice to pick up their empties.  Most times I got one or 2.  Once time I scored and got 4.  Several times I was disappointed to find they had thrown them all out.  One time I was told that "someone had already picked them up" and were given all three.  Ugh!  But in the end we were able to get the 19 buckets we needed.  And I only had to make two of the seats on my own.

And now my kids, and all our ward's participants, will have a soft place to rest their hineys at the end of the day.

The last project we tackled was my daughter's clothes.  She had decided she wanted to have dresses and not skirts and shirts.  And she wanted to help make them.  So we bought the supplies over a month ago and kept trying to find a block of time we could work together.  Well, guess what?  That never happened.  Shocking, I know.  So this week I had to get to work doing it on my own.

I started with this:

Notice the finished bonnet?  A wonderful woman in our ward made these for all the women.  Today I am so very grateful for her!

Oh, and please disregard the laundry basket that snuck into this photo.  My house is currently in serious disarray and it's hard to take any photos that don't include clutter.  But I digress....as usual...I'll try to get back on topic now.

The original plan was to make two dresses and one apron.  In the end I made one dress...

 and two aprons...

(which btw I am especially proud of since I made them without a pattern.)

For her other outfit, my daughter is using a skirt that was found at goodwill by a friend and a shirt from the back of my closet...

Once again, I am so grateful!

So that is how I spent my week. 

And this is how excited my daughter is to have this project done.

My smile is even bigger!

I am taking next week off to enjoy beautiful places and things and will hopefully have a wonderful post about that sometime after the 20th.

And hopefully in the near future I can show you what we have decided to do with this cute fabric which did not become a pioneer dress.

Have a great week!

2 comments:

the momma-kana said...

LOVE the fabric she chose! Have fun on your trip!

Michelle S said...

Good job! I hope everyone has fun on their respective trips!