Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Begining of Mosiac Madness

Today I had grand plans. It is the first day of a long break from work (from now until June 1), and before I went to bed last night I made a list of all the things I wanted to start doing with my free time. I've heard it takes 21 days to form a new habit, and I was determined to get a fresh start on things today. But then it rained. And rained, and rained and rained. We got 5 inches at our house over night, and 10 inches in our area. It woke me up in the middle of the night and was so hard I wondered if we would end up with water in the house. But then I rolled over and went back to sleep.

Seminary had been cancelled for the rest of the week due to standardized testing at the high school, so I was going to get to sleep in this morning. I guess you can call 6:15 sleeping in when it's an hr later than you are used to getting up. Any way, at about 6 am I woke up and got out of bed. Stupid internal alarm wouldn't let me sleep past 6--or so I thought. Turns out I had received a text from Rachel. Why would my daughter text me at 6 am? Because she had found out that school had been cancelled and wanted to let me know so she could go back to bed. She is so like her mom.

Anyway, to make a long story short, we had a rain day today. School was cancelled, and when there is no school, all plans are thrown out the window. When the kids were little, we would crawl into bed and watch movies on rainy days. I miss those days! Today, we just hung out and were not very productive most of the morning. But then I forced myself up and cleaned the kitchen; ran errands to the post office, bank and the grocery store; made some muffins; and made a call about Rachel's college scholarships--see I can be productive on rain days! Then it was time to sit with the girls and watch a couple of movies. I tried just to go and relax, but this week I signed up for a table at the Continental Craft Sale on May 8th--and I could hear my projects calling me. I really need to get to work or I'll not have anything to sale. But the plan had been to spend a while in the garage cutting glass for my mosaics, and the rainy day just had me in a mood that wasn't open to that assignment. So I went to my craft table and dug through my supplies--and found enough glass that was already cut that I could get to work making my crafts.

I have no idea how the craft sale will go, but it's time to push myself to create at least a few items to sale. So I sat down with my projects that have been waiting patiently and went to work.

Remember these? I got out the new items I had bought to mosaic.
Now it's time for the transformation. I took the wood pieces and dumped some glass onto a paper plate, and then got to work,

First step is to lay out the tile on the wooden item,
Once that was done, I started to glue.

I really liked this first lazy Susan. And the process went pretty quickly, so I kept working as long as the glass held out.
I even made a double decker lazy susan.

When I was pretty much out of cut glass, my projects looked like this:

All that's left is the grouting--And I can't wait to see how these look finished. Hopefully I can get to that tomorrow. The clock is ticking on my craft show. Hope I can make time to make that a success!


FavoriteChild said...

Hot dang my mom's got skillz :)

Kelly said...

I like them all Cindy. I think you will do well at the craft show. What about those brick things with names on them. You could do a set of "live laugh love" that is popular. I love the stepping stones the most, UT, A&M or just Texas are great!