Friday, November 5, 2010

Arts Metals--Project 2

Our second project for Arts Metals was not an artistic one.  We learned how to solder and were told to make 4 different types--a Butt joint, a Lap joint, a T joint and On Lay/Tinning.  Our joints would be tested by having our work being dropped from a high height.  If the joints held, we passed.  It they broke, we failed.


It sounded relatively easy, and our instructor made it look relatively easy.  But I quickly learned that my professor has much greater skill than I.  It was a struggle.  Several times I thought I had a proper solder, only to have it come apart in the pickle (a chemical cleaning solution) or when I test dropped it.  But in the end I was able to complete my project successfully. 

Gotta love a relatively easy A.  :)

2 comments:

Michelle S said...

It looks kind of artistic to me. I think you should hang it on the wall!
=)

The Artisan Mama said...

I thought it was kind of artistic too. But, it is too small to hang on the wall--only about 2". Maybe I'll have to try to make a big one. :)