Thursday, November 4, 2010

Arts Metals update--Project 1

Since my semester is more than half over, I feel like my first catch up post should be about my Arts Metals class. Let me start off by saying I absolutely love this class. Except for the times when it really frustrates me, which I am discovering happens about a week before a project is due. In fact, I have gotten so annoyed by a project that I just want to throw it across the room and I really question why I even signed up for this torture in the first place. But the rest of the time I really love it.

In my last about my class, entitled "In the works"  I shared an overview of what I was doing and pictures of the beginnings of my project.  Today I'll finally show you how it turned out.

I started with this:
 


And created this:

I was pretty pleased with the end result, although it came after several mistakes.  I ended up making two webs because I really disliked the first one.  I had to remake the spider body when I drilled the eye holes too close to the edge.  And I had to remove the eye rivets after I discovered that I had put the body on with the textured side down.  In the end I turned it in a little less polished than I would have liked, simply because I was DONE with it. 

The class critique made me nervous, but once again I survived it.  Although I at times I found this project very challenging, it was a great introduction to sawing and riveting. 

Next topic: soldering.

No comments: