Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Arts Metals 1 recap

Since my Arts Metals 2 class starts today I thought I better recap my semester of Arts Metals 1 which will include projects I've already written about as well as two new ones I did at the end of the semester.

Here are all of my projects:

Project 1--Layered metals design  construction
Constructed a design from 3 different types of 3"x3" metal sheets.  Metal was pierced, drilled, riveted, filed and sanded to create design. 

Project 2 -- Silver Soldering Exercise
Demonstrate successful butt joint, lap joint, T joint and On lay/tinning
Project 3 -- Soldered Design Composition
Design and construct by soldering a piece using varied colors of metal and controlled use of finishing and soldering.

Project 4 -- Box Ring
Design and construct a ring using a box type construction. Ring must be sized for a specific wearer and use controlled processes and techniques.


My inspiration for this piece was Edvard Munch's The Scream. 

Here is my Scream ring right after I finished soldering the bottom metal onto my box:
After cutting away the excess metal:
After a lot of filing, sanding and buffing:


Project 5 -- Open Project
Design and create a project of your choice to show what you have learned during the semester


For my final project I decided to make a pendant. 
I used materials that I had previously textured and solder and riveted them together into this:


It didn't turn out quite as I expect, but it really helped me understand the what I have learned and where I need more practice.

I loved this past semester of Arts Metals and am looking forward to class starting again today. 


No comments: