Friday, January 21, 2011

Hoarding update

Here is an update of this morning's post--just in case you were worried about me being a hoarder. 

I just googled ADD and hoarding and found this great article on hoarding.  Here is what it says:

Is it OCD? Or ADD?

Many psychologists believe that hoarding is a subtype of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), while others argue that it may be a variant of attention deficit disorder (ADD), which leaves people having difficulty with decision making, procrastination, and staying on task long enough to organize their surroundings.   "Try to give hoarders an assignment to throw something out, and they won't do it," says Stephen C. Josephson, PhD, clinical psychologist in New York City, and clinical associate professor of psychology in psychiatry at Cornell Medical School. "I see the clutter more often in people with ADD than OCD."

This is good news!  While this article does lead me to believe I really am ADD, yesterday's project has reinforced that I can definitely throw things way.  So as of today I can honestly say I am not a hoarder.  Yea!  And to make sure it stays that way I will throw things away on a regular basis!  Maybe I'll start with all those unfinished projects.  :D



4 comments:

Michelle S said...

I'm glad you're officially not a hoarder because that means I'm not one either! I think I am sort of ADD in my quilting though...

The Artisan Mama said...

I think I am getting more ADD the older I get. Do you think that is possible? Or am I just finally getting smart enough to realize I have a problem. :)

makana hansen said...

You make me laugh right out loud! I have a pile as well. Its in my closet. Im happy to find out there is hope!

Michelle S said...

I vote for smarter not just older!