Friday, September 10, 2010

A peak at what is to come

Due to Labor Day, we only had our Arts Metals class once this past week.  Although I love holidays that allow all of my family to be here at home (or at least the ones that live in here in Houston), I really did not like only having class once.

I've already written about how I had to show my project sketches on Wednesday.  What I didn't tell you was that most of the class time was spent on demonstrations.  Our professor showed us different ways to rivet two pieces together.  Here are some examples:


He also talk a little about how to texture metal.  The easiest way is with a press, which the studio doesn't have.  He does plan to bring his into class, but until there he showed us two simple examples of of what you can do with a hammer.

He took a piece of metal from this:

to this:

Next we talked about polishing and buffing our projects.  This process allows you to go from the original textured finished to a more polished finish like this:


and then to a buffed finish like this:

Cool, huh?

We also got a small peak at what we will be doing in the next project when we learn about soldering.






I'm very excited and starting to think this metal art is going to become addictive.  I'm also wishing we had class 3 times a week instead of 2.  Oh, and I never want a week where we only meet once again! 

No comments: