Friday, February 11, 2011

Bonus Post: Friday Foods

It is cold here in Houston, and I'm in the mood for something yummy.  So as long as I'm baking, I decided to start a new feature on my blog--Friday Foods.  I'm hoping that by committing to posting a recipe once a week will keep me motivated to try new recipes and share some of my family's favorites.

I'm starting off with one of our new favorite holiday recipes.  My husband asked me to make for him this week.   I resisted at first, because pumpkin bread is only eaten in November and December.  Am I right?  But in the end I made it for him.  That's just the kind of wife I am.  And guess what?  Turns out it's just as good in January as it was in December. 

You should make some.  Trust me, it is delicious!

Pumpkin Gingerbread
Adapted from a recipe found at allrecipes.com


Ingredients

2cups sugar
1 cup chunky applesauce
4 eggs
2/3 cup water
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Chocolate chips - optional to some, but not to me

(I never measure chocolate chips.  Just throw a handful or two in until it looks like there is enough.  How's that for exact measurements?)


Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.


In a large mixing, combine sugar, applesauce and eggs; beat until smooth. Add water and beat until well blended. Stir in pumpkin, ginger, allspice cinnamon, and clove.


In medium bowl, combine flour, soda, salt, and baking powder. Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture and blend just until all ingredients are mixed. Add chocolate chips and mix. 


Divide batter between prepared pans.


Bake in preheated oven until toothpick comes out clean, about 1 hour.

No comments: