This week I wanted to try out texturing a canvas with Molding Paste. I was inspired by one of my new blog obsessions, Design Mom. The thing that really drew me into this blog was that this mother of 6 has recently moved her family to France for a year. She and her husband both work from home and have always wanted to live abroad, so they decided to just do it. I so wish we could have lived abroad with our kids, so I anxiously await each new post to learn about their experience. But let's get back to the focus of this post. While reading Design Mom's blog, I found this Abstract Art for Kids project, which was written by Dani Henriksen who writes one of my other new blog obsessions, Pineapple Paintbrush.
This project totally inspired me and I immediately ran out and bought some molding paste and canvases. And this week I put them to use making projects for an upcoming activity with the young women at our church.
Here are my supplies:
Since it was my first time using molding paste and I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy it, I ended up buying the cheaper store brand.
For this project I decided I wanted a flat canvas instead of a wrapped one. So I bought packages of these:
Because I chose to start rubbing right at the minimum wait time, this ended up being a drawn out process. Turns out it wasn't dry enough to remove properly and parts of my image came up with my paper. Of course it could have also been the fact that I didn't follow directions exactly. Instead of spraying the paper down, I just used a wet sponge.
So let's review--today you've learned that I am an impatient procrastinator who is bad at following written instructions. Add that to other personality traits this blog has highlighted and I am probably the only impatient procrastinating ADD instruction ignoring hording crafter you know. So glad this is recorded for my posterity!
But getting back to the problems I had removing the paper from my image. Take a close look at the center of the flower and you'll see what my above personality traits caused--a spot where the image completely came up: