Friday, February 25, 2011

Friday Foodie: Cooking rice in the oven

Posting a little late today, but didn't want to miss sharing what I recently learned about making rice.  I don't own a rice cooker, but instead always make our rice in the microwave.  Last weekend I was asked to make a very large amount of rice when the party we were going to had a last menu minute change.  30 cups of cooked rice to be exact.  Since I have never cooked such a large quantity at once and I had no desire to be cooking rice all day, I turned to google and made a wonderful discovery. 

You can bake rice in your oven.  And not just a normal amount of rice, like 2 or 3 cups--really large quantities like 15 cups. It is super easy and the rice comes out perfect.  Here's all you do:

Ingredients:  2 cups of water per 1 cup of rice.

Bring water to a boil.  You can add some oil and salt to the water if you'd like.  (I put a little oil in mine, but no salt.)

Place rice into the pan you will be baking in.  Pour boiling water on top.  Stir.  Place lid on pan.  Put pan into preheated 350° oven.  Cook for 30 minutes.  Remove pan from oven and let sit for 15 minutes.  Fluff with fork.

As I said before, this is super easy and turns out perfect rice.  So if you are ever asked to make 30 cups of rice the only challenge will be to find a big enough pan. 

Oh, and as a bonus foodie tip--check out this new website I discovered last week:  TasteSpotting  It's a great online resource for new recipes.   Check it out.

No comments: